Thursday, September 06, 2007

Orphan Charity

The picture to the left (and it's really there now) has nothing to do with this post, it's just a cool picture. And it seems to me to be a great metaphor for what it means to have brothers and sisters ... poor Caleb can barely see out from the massive group hug, and yet you can tell his eyes are sparkling. Although she doesn't know it yet, Jaime belongs in this picture, and she'll be in one just like it very soon.

Tonight while we were putting the kids to bed, a telemarketer called; ironically, from a charity which saves orphans and other children from hopeless futures in foreign countries. Apparently we've supported them in the past (although don't they all say that ?) and they were hoping for our support again. Well, I certainly believe in the cause ! But we're working for the cause in a very different way :) I initially said no without explanation, but after the woman politely and gently persisted, I decided to level with her. The reason I said no, I explained, was because the day after tomorrow we're actually flying to China ourselves, to adopt one of these very orphans you're talking about. I'm totally serious, I explained, I'm not joking. I don't think she believed me though ... probably thinking yeah right, not the first time I've heard that excuse tonight ... which sort of makes me smile. What can I say - I really was telling the truth.

Departure time is getting closer ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home